Los Angeles is like a film set. No matter where you are looking at; you could say you are watching an eternal movie.
David was nervous inside that movie. And excited. It was a lazy Sunday of the lazy Summer of ’67; and he was putting up his Polaroid camera over the tripod's neck, in front of the swimming pool, trying to find the perfect angle to make a reference picture for his next work.
He had an issue with the diving board. Actually he didn’t know where to display it in the composition. Maybe in the left side, maybe in the right one or, why not? could be in the center.
And there was, of course, the possibility of no diving board at all.
He was lost in his thoughts.
But impossible to be focused on something when Donnie was flying around.
Donnie was an hyperactive guy. He couldn’t simply remain standing in one place. He couldn’t either remain in silence. And sometimes for David silence and peace were strongly necessary.
Otherwise Donnie had his own virtues, of course. He was blond and beautiful. A bit featherbrained but, who needs brains when you are twenty and you have such stunning body?
Donnie was, for David, the perfect american spirit. And very suitable for weekends like this.
But David needed to be focused!!!!
- Hey Dave! Take a look at this! Do you think this is natural???
- Are you naked??? You are crazy man! - (And over gifted I must say)
- Hey, hey! Look, I can hold the towel with no hands!!! Hahaha
- Stop doing that! I’m working - (Holy fuck, It’s so hard to handle the equipement with that lighthouse in front of me. Donnie is no doubt a piece from heaven).
- Hey, hey!!! Two towels...!!! Look, look!!!
David was still hesitating. It was almost perfect composition. The caustics of the swimming pool were magnificent at that time of the day. And the sky was so blue. It was pure Technicolor.
But still... there was something missing…
There was only one paper left on the plateholder and he didn't wanted to waste it in vain. But in the other hand he needed the picture right now as he wanted so badly to start painting in the afternoon.
It was a very tricky moment, for him.
David was seeking something stunning, something really huge. Bigger than life, they say in the movies, don't they? His next work would be actually as big as a movie screen.
He put again the eye on the viewer...
- Is this big enough for you, honey??? - The Pisa tower was now occupying the frame. Sometimes Donnie simply read his mind.
- YOU IDIOT!!! This is my last photo paper!!! If you spoil my picture I will have to wait till tomorrow to buy more and I need the picture NOW!!!
- Hey Dave! Don’t get angry with me, honey! First the pleasure, right? Then the work!!! Look! I’m a big fan of yours!!! Get it??? Big fan, right? Get it? Get it?
- Hahahaha!!! you little devil… Don't tempt me that way, please - Donnie was playing the fan with that… huge thing. That was too much for David. No doubt Donnie would get his punishment. But after the shot... not before.
Well, he decided to move ten feet to the left and low down a bit the tripod.
Now it was a perfect composition! The two palms, the architecture, the little director’s chair, the caustics playing shapes inside the pool, and the yellow diving board on the right side. That was its place, finally!!!
- How can I have been so dumb? It’s much better like this! Ok, I think it’s perfect now. Let’s do it!
In the very moment that David was pressing the button, Donnie passed like a lightning through him, through the diving board and right straight to the blue pool.
- Catch me if you dare, bitch!!!
And he jumped into the water making such beautiful splash…
God! That was something - he thought. But, at the same time, David was about to explode.
- YOU BASTARD!!! You spoiled my shot!!! You jumped into the water wiping the caustics!!!
- Fuck the castics!!! Hey, the water is perfect now! Join me, honey! C’mon!
- I will kill you, I swear!!! - David was so angry. His face was redder and redder. Have you ever seen David Hockney angry? That’s something!!!
- You look sexier when you are angry, love.
David couldn’t stand one more second in front of that stupid, selfish, muscled, blondie, blue-eyed, over gifted, beautiful angel in the pool. The paper started going out from the camera, falling down into the ground. The image was about to be revealed. Would it be a picture of the moment before, during or after the jump?
- C’mon, love! Art can wait!!! Go, make a bigger splash for me!!!
- Ok, WTF, let’s go!!!!
David ran toward him and jumped into the water with his Hawaiian shirt and his pants and his shoes and his thick glasses and everything on. Donnie was an expert taking them off, right?
The photo paper started to draw itself under the merciless California sun. It was the Summer of Love. The beginning of the Age of Aquarius.
Honestly, I hope Mr. Hockney is not angry with me after writting this ;) I have written this story from a deep admiration and respect. I love his work and his funny sweet character. I have learned from him a lot of things. He is to me a Master.
If you want more information about one of the most iconic works of David Hockney, you can go here.
You decide, at the end, which version do you trust more: them or mine ;)
And now a few lines just to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to all of you who still remain there.
Some of you were following my steps since the very beginning. Some of you have joined later. I do appreciate your faithfulness. Thank you for dedicating your time to me. Time is Love, don't ever forget. And I Love to dedicate my time to you. I hope not to dissapoint you in the future.
I was thinking about my prophetic words when I first started my blog. It was in my welcoming entry:
"Here you will see news about my work, clues about my next projects, some 3D stuff... and much more, as I still don't know what is gonna be about (I must confess ;)"
Actually I didn't know I was going to start publishing weekly like this. I didn't know I was going to be in such creative and productive moment. And I didn't know either I was starting to write stupid funny stories like this ;) Well, many of them are a bit stupid, let's face the truth ;)
It happened to me like that. It came to me in a natural way, so I accepted it as part of my life now and as my workflow.
I have learned a lot and still learning and wanting for more. There are a lot of new short tales and a lot of new scenes longing to be released, to be shared with you.
But now I need desperately my holidays. I will charge my batteries in August. I love August.
We'll meet again in September.
I love you all!!!
Health and Love for everyone!!!
Note: I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes I think I'm writing too much ;) Anyway I apologize for every single mistake I make with your beautiful language. If you feel like correcting me or giving me some advice, please, don't hesitate: drop me a line! I'll be glad to read you!