Caroline Taker: Multimedia artist, performer, restorer, painter and dyslexic. A lovely human being, but with some anxiety disorder and not self confident enough. She is always embarrased to admit she suffers xantopsia, too.
Her sexual life is a disaster.
- DON'T SAY THAT!!!!
Caroline Taker was so nervous that day. She´d rather spend the whole day inside her beloved fridge, just eating and wintering.
But she had to assist a very important job interview. Just thinking of it, made her shiver. We are talking about the Magritte Museum, in Belgium! She couldn’t believe it when they wrote her. Was it going to be her first BIG order? In a so important museum??? WOW!!!
- Oh, God! I´d love to be invisible, now!!!
But there she was, sitting down in front of the Museum's chairman, Mr. Charles Dupont, while he was studying her dossier and CV. Thoroughly.
- Well, Miss Taker! Your CV is perfect for us. We are looking for talented and emerging artists like YOU, as it’s part of the new philosophy of the museum.
- So, you mean… am I hired?
- Of course you are!! You start working TOMORROW.
- Sure! we can lend you an apartment-studio, if you need it, ok? And of course, we will need a materials list for the installation ASAP.
- It’s in the papers, too...
- Ah! Ok, ok, ok ok ok! I will give them to my secretary. She´ll manage everything for tomorrow, right?
- Right! - she said.
- And remember, Miss Taker, this is a very important order. We trust you blindly to give a new boost to the museum…
- Do a good job!!!
As she was finally hired in Belgium, she decided to taste their delicious chocolate, under the Manneken Pis. So a couple of genuine waffles after, she went to her apartment. It was so cute! And ONLY ten minutes from the museum. She jumped into the bed and she started to think, looking at the ceiling…
- Well, well, well, Caroline. You made it!!! Now you have to be focused only in the work, right? Think about the apple, the apple, the apple…
(She had to recreate thoroughly The Listening room, one of the most famous Magritte paintings. A big green apple in a small room)
The Listening Room, René Magritte. 1952
Just thinking of her job made her mouthwatering, so she went to the kitchen quickly, looking for a juicy apple. And the fruit bowl was full of golden apples!!! so glossy, so inviting, so crunchy...
- Hmmmmm!!!!!! I love golden apples - she said. They were her favorite ones since she was a kid.
Going down to work
The day after, she started to work. She found herself perfect at the museum. Nobody could disturb her, as the museum was closed the week before the exhibition.
Only a week. It was too little time to make the installation.
- They should have called me before! - she complained
Actually, Magritte never was her cup of tea, as she preferred Dalí, or Miró. But she was an apples lover so finally she was happy to build a three meters one into the tiny room.
She felt a bit lazy the first day, maybe because the stressing day before; so she sat down in the middle of the room, just feeling the space and the silence in the museum. Not a single soul there, but the disturbing images hanged on the walls, and she.
The deep silence was suddenly broken by a yellow bite!
Next days were busier. She started to cover the room with the wallpaper that she ordered, and also putting the wooden planks on the floor.
She was now free to be focused in the main subject… the giant apple.
But the time was so short, so short… And the apple so big, so big…
At the end she managed to make the light structure in time, and it was just perfect for starting to cover it with plaster. But still a hard job ahead, and so little time,… and so so huge the apple….
The last days Caroline decided to spend overnight there. It was a nightmare, actually. No sleeping at all. The apple was ok, she had only to polish a little bit more and the trickiest thing: to paint it! But it was just two days before the exhibition.
- Was it a red apple, or a green one??? I cannot remember right... Anyway I couldn't distinguish them good; and the catalogue is at my apartment. I have no even five minutes to waste. Oh my God!!!! What is going to happen to me now??? And my sexual life is a disaster!!!!!!
She started to cry rivers. She was so nervous in that moment that she had to take the pills.
- As my doctor says, pills are good friends, right? Everything is gonna be ok, now. Calm down Caroline.
She took a couple of yellow pills; but the side effects, as she always forgets, made her so sleepy… She needed a good rest, so she lied down beside the giant - uncolored - apple.
When she woke up she couldn’t believe it. It was dark outside! It was six in the morning of the next day. She had been sleeping for 24 hours!!!!! And the opening was going to be in four hours!!!!
- I still have time, I still have time. I can do it, I can do it. You can do it, Carol!!! you always do...
She made the big decision:
-Yellow!!! That’s the reason why they let me the yellow apples in the kitchen!!!
So she opened the big can and started to paint as quick as she could. And she was a devil when it comes to painting . She was the fastest painter at the Art School.
The sun rose quite a while ago, it was close to ten o'clock. The time for the press visit and the vip members of the museum. But she was almost finished; just a few brushstrokes more and…. What!!! They are opening the doors!!!! Hurry up, hurry up Carol!!!
And that’s when she tripped whit the paint can and the painting was spilled on the floor. She was almost dead, in panic. She could hear people going upstairs. She couldn’t even breathe.
Then, the door was opened:
- ...and this is the famous Listening Room, brought to life by our artist Caroline Taker.
A Yellow Affair
The room was empty. Nobody there but the giant yellow apple and the painting stuff. And the big wet paint stain flowing in the planck.
-Was it supposed to be a green apple? Screamed a fat boy.
-Yep! and the wallpaper shouldn’t be pink, in my opinion. It seems to be a mistake, isn’t it? - Said his father, while smoking an electric cigarette.
The apple was yellow, the wallpaper was pink, the motherfucking electric cigarette; but Mr. Charles Dupont was starting to get redder and redder. And his shoes were more and more yellow.
-A mistake, a mistake, Miss Taker? Misstaker??? MISS TAKEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!